Iberdrola reaffirms its ambitions in the field of French offshore wind energy by acquiring 100% of the capital of Ailes Marines
Paris - March 9, 2020 - Iberdrola has reaffirmed its ambitions in the offshore wind energy sector, following the conclusion of an agreement to acquire 100% of the company Ailes Marines. Ailes Marines develops, builds and operates the offshore wind farm in Saint-Brieuc, France, a country that has become an increasingly strategic market for Iberdrola.
A new impetus
Iberdrola, which already owned 70% of the consortium's capital, bought the remaining 30% from Avel Vor, after receiving the green light from the French Minister of Economy and Finance.
The transaction will enable the company to give new impetus to the offshore wind project, whose construction is due to start in 2021. Once it is fully operational in 2023, the installed capacity of 496 megawatts will produce enough clean energy to meet the energy needs of approximately 835,000 consumers.
Saint-Brieuc offshore wind farm
Located 16 kilometres off the coast of Brittany, the Saint-Brieuc wind farm will require a total investment of around €2.4 billion. It will be equipped with 62 Siemens Gamesa wind turbines, each with a capacity of 8 MW, installed over an area of 75 square kilometres. The wind turbines will be 207 metres high.
Saint-Brieuc is a key project within the framework of the energy transition and the fight against global warming initiated by the French government.
Iberdrola is also active in the retail energy market and is considering new opportunities in the field of onshore wind energy in France.
Iberdrola, its firm commitment to wind energy
Almost twenty years after becoming a pioneer in the field of onshore wind energy, Iberdrola continues to be at the forefront of the development of offshore wind energy, a market with great potential. The company currently has approximately 12.4 GW (gigawatts) of projects under development in three main areas: the North Sea, the Baltic Sea and the United States.
With €13.36 billion (39%) dedicated to offshore wind energy, out of its €34 billion global investment plan to 2022, the technology is the cornerstone of the company's strategy.
The Group currently operates three offshore wind farms: West of Duddon Sands, which started operations in the Irish Sea in 2014, and Wikinger, located in the German waters of the Baltic Sea, which has been operational since December 2017.
The company plans to develop 2,000 MW of offshore wind power by the end of 2022 and 3,000 MW by 2024.
"The construction of the Saint-Brieuc project is ready to start. All the agreements are in place, financing is secured and contracts are signed. Our industrial plan will create new plants and highly skilled jobs in the renewable energy sector in France. We hope that the final legal and administrative issues will be settled quickly, after which this major €2.4 billion investment project, contributing to a cleaner energy future, will enter its implementation phase. »
Projects in Europe and elsewhere
East Anglia ONE
East Anglia HUB
Baltic Eagle & Wikinger South
Vineyard Wind & Park City
Iberdrola's commitment figures
Power of projects under development
Amount invested in wind energy
Ongoing group projects
Operating forecasts in 2024
Iberdrola is a world leader in energy, the number one producer of wind energy and one of the largest electricity producers in the world in terms of market capitalisation. The group supplies energy to nearly 100 million people in dozens of countries, including Spain, the United Kingdom (ScottishPower), the United States (AVANGRID), Brazil (Neoenergia), Mexico, Germany, Italy and France. With more than 35,000 employees and assets in excess of €122 billion, the company achieved a turnover of €6,438 million and a net profit of more than €3,406 million in 2019.
Iberdrola is leading the transition towards a sustainable energy model, investing in renewable energies, smart electricity grids, large-scale energy storage and digital transformation in order to offer the most technologically advanced products and services to its customers. Thanks to its commitment to clean energy, Iberdrola is one of the companies with the lowest rates of carbon emissions, and is an international benchmark for its contribution to sustainable development and the fight against global warming.
Press Relations & Communication
Jean Christophe Labastugue